Why do I need to get an EKG and a chest X-ray before I have a colonoscopy?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Not Normally Needed

These tests EKG and Chest Xray is not usually required before Colonoscopy and you should ask your Doctor the reason for it being required You are not given General Anesthsia and these tests are unnecessary for Colonoscopy

In brief: Not Normally Needed

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Ask ordering dr.

Preoperative testing (e.
g., chest radiography, electrocardiography, often performed before surgical procedures.Can be helpful to stratify risk, direct anesthetic choices, and guide postoperative management, but often obtained because of protocol rather than medical necessity. Decision to order preoperative tests should be guided by patient's clinical history, comorbidities and physical exam.

In brief: Ask ordering dr.

Preoperative testing (e.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Olaf Johansen
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Not sure

That is typically not part of the pre op evaluation unless they are concerned about something specific.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Olaf Johansen
Dr. Olaf Johansen
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Might not

Routinely, I do not get EKG or chest xray pre colonoscopy unless the patient is over 40 and has not had regular medical care.
This is usually a preference of the endoscopist, anesthesiologist or facilty requirements.

In brief: Might not

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology