What is a "low residue" diet for diverticulitis, and will it increase my chances of getting colon cancer later in life?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: No

A low fiber diet is used to treat acute diverticulitis and is low in fiber foods such as grains, fruits, vegetables.
It is only used for a finite period of time to allow healing of the inflammation. I high fiber diet is recommended for diverticulosi and may have protective features regarding colon cancer prevention.

In brief: No

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. David Fertel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Low fiber

Low residue diet is low in fiber, and it could possibly increase chances of colon ca.

In brief: Low fiber

Dr. David Fertel
Dr. David Fertel
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery