I have had bronchitis for a week and i'm on meds. I smoke marijuana on occasion for my anxiety . Will it worsen my cold if i smoke?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Best avoid smoking

The effects of marijuana on the immune system are not fully known- smoking on occasion probably does not have a significant effect on immune function.
However, smoke is irritating to the lungs so i advise avoiding smoking when you have bronchitis. However, you can safely use marijuana for anxiety by using it orally as a tincture or in foods.

In brief: Best avoid smoking

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Bronchitis

Most certainly, due to the irritants in the smoke.

In brief: Bronchitis

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Worsens respiratory

Marijuan smoking, like any kind of smoking in which people inhale irritates the sensitive tissues of the lungs.
Irritation causes coughing which causes more irritation. Furthermore there are some studies suggesting it can stress your immune system. As far as anxiety goes, there are healthier and more legal ways to cope. See: http://cpancf.Com/anxietydisordersbasics.Asp.

In brief: Worsens respiratory

Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Randy Baker
I fully agree there are healthier ways to cope (though not necessarily via pharmaceuticals) but medical marijuana is legal in 18 states and the District of Columbia.
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

Any smoke, (wood, tobacco, or marijuana, eg) will worsen bronchitis.

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Vicken Poochikian