What can I do for my diverticulitis to avoid needing surgery?

In brief: Take care of it

First and foremost take good care of your colon.
This usually entails a high fiber diet with a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid dehydration. Drink a lot of water. Keep your stools bulky and on the soft side. Your colon will be happy. Fiber supplements like metamucil might be needed.

In brief: Take care of it

Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Tracy Berg
If you have had one episode of diverticulitis, then a colonoscopy is indicated.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Diet and fluids

When talking of diverticulosis, eat a high fiber diet and drink a minimum of 80-100 ounces of noncaffeinated, non alcoholic fluid daily, more if you do strenous activity or fly in planes a lot.
If you have divertiulitis, ie infected diverticulum low fiber diet and 2 weeks of antibiotics. Maintain low fiber for 4-6 weeks after resolution of symptoms the resume recommendations for diverticulosis.

In brief: Diet and fluids

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: High Fiber Diet

It is thought that the high incidence of diverticular disease in the us is related to our low-fiber diet.
I advise people to take 30grams of water-soluble fiber supplements a day, as well as 64 ounces of water.

In brief: High Fiber Diet

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery