Im currently on 30qty of .5mg Xanax as needed. My PCP doesn't even like rx'ing that, but my anxiety is hell. Would a psychiatrist be more sympathetic?

A psychiatrist

Open-uri20121123-24961-1lplfz8
A psychiatrist has specialty training and experience to evaluate your history and symptoms, come to a diagnosis, and develop an effective treatment plan for and with you. If there are better ways to deal with your anxiety than Xanax, the psychiatrist will recommend them. S/he will certainly care what you think, but might not agree with you about medications that are in your best interests.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Alprazolam Feeling anxious Primary care provider Psychiatry Xanax Anxiety

Xanax is addictive

There is a reason for your PCPs discomfort, Xanax is an addictive medication and not a good anti anxiety medication for long term anxiety control. A psychiatrist specializes in treatment of anxiety and other psychiatric disorders and may advise and prescribe such medications. There are other effective treatments of anxiety and Xanax is only one of them.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Alprazolam Anxiety relief Feeling anxious Primary care provider Psychiatry Xanax Anxiety