The easiest way to cover up deliberate harm to a patient is to use a psychiatric disorder. How can trust exist?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Trust goes 2 ways

A psychiatric disorder is diagnosed when a person suffers symptoms and history that meet research-based criteria for that disorder. The purpose is to understand and treat the person so that s/he moves towards health and less suffering.
Mutual doctor-patient trust is needed. You suggest here that doctors intend to harm, not help, others. Consulting with a doctor you're willing to trust, may help.

In brief: Trust goes 2 ways

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
You have now written back saying that you were deliberately injured and assaulted. You have asked about this previously on HealthTap, and several of us have responded to you with well-meaning suggestions. Again, I am sorry that you have experienced something like this at the hands of a physician. I still suggest that trust does need to be mutual in a treatment relationship, and I hope you will avail yourself of one to work through whatever has happened. A physician deliberately harming a patient is not a usual event, but very painful and tragic. And if it's not outside the statute of limitations in your state, you may still be able to make a formal complaint to the medical board. Peace to you.
Dr. Mohammed Younus

In brief: Trust is important

Physician patient relationship is dependent on trust.
All physicians strive to do just that. Unfortunate things do happen and at times result in harm even with care. Psychiatric disorders are legitimate medical disorders and cannot be diagnosed at whim of a disgruntled physician as there are definite criteria for diagnosis. If one is unsatisfied a second opinion can be sought about diagnosis.

In brief: Trust is important

Dr. Mohammed Younus
Dr. Mohammed Younus
Dr. Andrea Brand