Is it possible to be on a diet even though I have crohn's?

Dr. Abby Caplin
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Yes, but

You must be very careful and reduce caloric intake slowly, assuming you are overweight.
Add mild aerobic exercise daily, even just 10 or 15 minutes helps. Eliminate sugar. Don't use other sweeteners, since they can cause diarrhea. Don't stress your body by wanting to lose weight fast. You can do it!

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Abby Caplin
Dr. Abby Caplin
3 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Does Stevia cause diarrhea?
Dr. Abby Caplin
Thanks, Dr. Pappas. Stevia is much less likely to cause GI symptoms, some say not at all. But still some folks don't tolerate it.
Dr. Ronald Kline
Surgery - Colorectal

I assume you mean a weight-loss diet.
Since adequate nutrition can be a problem to maintain with crohns' disease, any diet should be supervised by your doctor to make sure you are getting an adequate balance of nutrients as well as any supplementation you need to make up for losses in the gut.

I assume you mean a weight-loss diet.
Dr. Ronald Kline
Dr. Ronald Kline
Dr. Arnon Rubin