I have been told that overcoming ptsd requires no mention of the underlying events. How can this work?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: PTSD

At the start of treatment, some people do not recall all the underlying events, but do recall portions of them. Despite this, the syndrome is clear. Treatment can proceed from the outside in, so to speak, and memories may gradually unfold.
As trust grows, most of the patients with whom i've worked do share more and more of their history. Please talk with your own physician about your concerns.

In brief: PTSD

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Jerald Ratner

In brief: False

Treatment for ptsd involves the reexperiencing of the initial trauma in psychotherapy.
Techniques to resolve this can be very helpful.

In brief: False

Dr. Jerald Ratner
Dr. Jerald Ratner
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depends

Some schools of thought subscribe to this notion, for symptoms relief purposes, but when unprocessed the symptoms tend to return.
I am of the opinion, as a psychoanalyst, that with time, the underlying events such as the trauma and its effect on the unconscious will eventually need exploration in order to achieve long term benefit and integration.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry

In brief: Trauma

Normally treatment of ptsd does require working through the trauma.
The only exception that I am aware of is use of seven dragons in acupuncture to deal with past trauma.

In brief: Trauma

Dr. Marsha Davis