Is any one of the colon cancer screening tests better than the others?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

I believe that at this time the colonoscopy is the gold standard when performed by an experienced physician and in the appropriate clinical situation.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan

In brief: Depends

If there are symptoms such as bleeding, then colonoscopy is the best test because there is a high chance of finding something like a polyp that could be removed through the scope.
As a screening test the other methods all have their benefits and a few drawbacks, but reasonable choices can be made on the basis of things like patient preference, previous test results, or family history.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Peter Dahlberg
Dr. Peter Dahlberg
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery