If I have colon polyps at age 26, is my risk of developing colon cancer later in life very high?

Dr. Sean O Donovan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Depends on polyp

Some polyps are not precancerous and thus have no bearing on future development of colon ca.
Others are, however, and your doctor should discuss your risk with you depending on what was found. You can relax somewhat, knowing that regular screening has been shown to dramatically lessen your risks of future colon cancer!

In brief: Depends on polyp

Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Ronald Kline
Surgery - Colorectal

Since polyps are caused by an abnormality in cell growth, polyp formation will continue from this time onward.
As exposure to toxic material in the gut continues the injury to the cellular lining of the gut becomes more pronounced leading to worsening of the abnormal cell growth and eventual malignant changes. Continued surveillance is needed.

Dr. Ronald Kline
Dr. Ronald Kline
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery