How long will it take for me to be back to normal after my colostomy is reversed?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Depends
Every patient is different but on average anywhere from 2-6 weeks assuming you are on a regular diet and having normal activity levels.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. David Stein
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: It depends
If you needed the colostomy because the rectum was removed then bowel function can be irregular for up to two years.
Sitting on the toilet for a longer time will help the "new" rectum empty. If you have your rectum and had the colostomy for a different reason, bowel function usually returns to normal in 3 months.

In brief: It depends
Dr. David Stein
Dr. David Stein
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery