How do I know if I have bdd?

Dr. Kerry Ragain
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Bodily preoccupation

The essential characteristic of body dysmorphic disorder is a persistent preoccupation with one or several body parts being ugly, distorted, or otherwise problematic from an aesthetic standpoint.
The defect is usually imagined and incongruent with what others perceive about the person's appearance. The preoccupation must also cause enough distress to impair social and vocational functioning.

In brief: Bodily preoccupation

Dr. Kerry Ragain
Dr. Kerry Ragain
Dr. Evan Altman

In brief: Body dysmorphic DO

A mental health professional is the best person to help with the assessment of body dysmorphic disorder.
The dsm-iv-tr contains the criteria for the diagnosis. The hallmark of the disorder is excessive concern/preoccupation with a perceived physical defect of the body. Often time most others would not find the physical feature abnormal or at least no where to the same degree as the individual.

In brief: Body dysmorphic DO

Dr. Evan Altman
Dr. Evan Altman