My mother(age 55) is facing vitreous opacities. I plan to buy lutein and zeaxanthin for her. Will lutein and zeaxanthin help to cure her situation?

Dr. Martin Perlmutter
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not likely

Vitreous opacities generaly develop as aging changes within the eye.
What once was a gel and changes to liquid with some elements of the gel remains. Also if the gel pulls away from the retina ( vitreous is shrinking) floaters will be seen. Also wih more serious retinal problems. Lutein & zeaxanthin are pigments that help the macula stay healthy;they won't affect the floaters issues.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Martin Perlmutter
Dr. Martin Perlmutter
Dr. Masoud Sadighpour

In brief: Time helps

The way discussing her condition, means that she already seen ophthalmologist and there is no reason to be concern.
These opacities are debris which will precipitates over time. There is no evidence that any herb helps her.

In brief: Time helps

Dr. Masoud Sadighpour
Dr. Masoud Sadighpour
Dr. Adam Smith