I'm going to barium enema next week with that I have black stools and blood black and sometimes red stools.What are the complications of examination?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Not many

However i don't believe given your symptoms that this is the most appropriate test.
A colonoscopy and possible upper endoscopy will be more accurate, more comfortable and possibly therapeutic. See a GI doctor to get confirmation before putting yourself thru an inadequate exam that may not provide you the answer you are looking for.

In brief: Not many

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Vicken Poochikian

In brief: Usually safe.

Barium enema is a safe exam with experienced technicians.
It was a very common test before colonoscopy became more popular. Your doctor wants to know if there is a mass in your colon causing bleeding. With black stools i would have recommended an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy same time. Your doctor may have a reason to to barium enema.

In brief: Usually safe.

Dr. Vicken Poochikian
Dr. Vicken Poochikian
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Why a BE?

Barium enemas have few complications but have largelly been replaced by colonoscopy for work-up of gastrointestinal bleeding.
Unless you are in a very rural area with no access, i would ask my doc why the be instead of colonoscopy. Also in a 22 year old, black stools are more likely due to duodenal ulcers and gastritis than colon cancer - perhaps an egd to look in your stomach?

In brief: Why a BE?

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Vicken Poochikian