Do lower, squat-style toilets reduce the risk of developing colon polyps?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: No
I have never heard of this idea before and prolonged squatting may increase blood flow to the hemorrhoids causing more swelling and prolapse.

In brief: No
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Carolyn Messere
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Not that I know of
I know of no study showing that squatting decreases the risk of polyps.
It may improve constipation for some particular kinds of constipation. However, if squatting involves straining, it is not beneficial. There may be health benefits to squatting, but they are not well-studied. The easiest way to replicate it is to buy a stool that sits under the toilet to bring up the knees.

In brief: Not that I know of
Dr. Carolyn Messere
Dr. Carolyn Messere
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery