Is it possible to get dental cavities overnight?

Dr. Maryam Chiani
Dentistry

In brief: NO

It takes a long time for cavities to form and show up in the mouth and on x-ray.

In brief: NO

In brief: No

Cavities take time to form. They do not happen overnight, but I have seen them develop as quickly as a few months in people who stop taking care of their teeth and drink large amounts of sugary/acidic drinks.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No.

Cavities start out as an area where bacteria are present over a long enough time that their acidic waste products leach out the calcium in a spot on the tooth.
This is only the first step. Next, the decalcified tooth structure decomposes. Now you have a cavity. This takes longer than overnight. Weeks would be the minimum time, if not months.

In brief: No.

Dr. Vicken Poochikian