How is PFO (patent foramen ovale) treated?

PFO. Patent foramen ovale or pfo is a congenital remnant which normally closes at birth but for several reasons can open later in life. Blood or clots can travel across and if they do, the opening should be closed. It can be closed either surgically or by a catheter based procedure.
Usually ignored. This is considered an innocent variation in the formation of the heart that is compatible with a normal lifespan without heart problems & requires no intervention.
Depends . A lot depends on the size of the pfo and whether there are symptoms. Most pfo's are asymptomatic and do not affect one's quality of life.