Is nocturnal epilepsy hereditary?

Nocturnal epilepsy. Some are. Others are not. Most neurologists would be able to tell you if they feel that yours is genetic based.
Yes. We are becoming more aware of the hereditary risk for families with a history of epilepsy. Specific epilepsy types often tend to run in families. There are genetic markers that can be studied to see if a common marker exists in the family and if it correlates with the risk for epilepsy. However, there is no prevention or avoidance of the risk. Good seizure management is necessary, regardless.