If I have nocturnal epilepsy can I still get a drivers license?

Dr. R Sangal
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Depends on state law

Depending on the state law where you live, seizures of any kind have to be in control with no recent seizure for you to maintain your drivers license.

In brief: Depends on state law

Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. Andrew Reeves
Neurology

In brief: Depends..

Depends upon the state you live in.
Check the american epilepsy society website.

In brief: Depends..

Depends upon the state you live in.
Dr. Andrew Reeves
Dr. Andrew Reeves
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: If controlled

Most states have laws concerning criteria for getting a license with a diagnosis of epilepsy.
Most insist on 6 to 12 months seizure free before being able to get the license. This includes nocturnal seizures as well as day time seizures. Discuss with your doctor. Good control is the goal regardless of the time of day of seizures. Nocturnal seizures are not less significant.

In brief: If controlled

Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Vicken Poochikian