I have a non-24 hour circadian rhythm (26 hour cycle), how should I take my sleep medicine to fix this?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: What r u taking?

In most people, the circadian rhythm is slightly longer than 24hrs.
Non 24 hr sleep wake syndrome occurs most commonly in blind people who are not able to use light cues to adjust to light/darkness changes. Non pharmacological interventions are often used. Melatonin is not fda approved but is commonly used. It is taken about 2 hrs before the desired sleep time.

In brief: What r u taking?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Rozerem (ramelteon)

You may want to try rozerem (ramelteon), (ramelteon) which is a prescription medication for insomnia, safe for a long term use.
It is different from all other sleep med in the way it works. It is a melatonin receptor agonist. It is used to treat circadian rhythm disorders. You should talk to your doctor if rozerem (ramelteon) is right for you.

In brief: Rozerem (ramelteon)

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Ravi Chand

In brief: Circadian rhythm

The human circadian clock is set at 24.
2 hours approximately, its rare to have a 26 hour cycle unless in experimental models where the zeitgber of light has been eliminated please confirm you have a 26 hour circadian rhythm. Melatonin and light are used to control the sleep and wake times.

In brief: Circadian rhythm

The human circadian clock is set at 24.
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Marsha Davis