When will I be allowed to start eating after birth?

Dr. Diane Minich
In brief: Depends
If vaginal delivery once the delivery procedure is over, if c section start with fluids then increase diet as tolerated.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
In brief: Depends on type
If you have a vaginal delivery, you may start eating as soon as the placenta has delivered.
This is a precaution in case the placenta will not deliver and you need a procedure. If you have a cesarean section, you may be allowed to have ice chips, but you will probably not be able to eat for 8 or 12 hours. Some physicians like to wait until you pass gas to show that air is going through.

In brief: Depends on type
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Dr. Susan Mueller
I feed my c sections immediately without any problems, many doctors have different practice patterns, and various hospitals may have different policies, but these are great questions to bring up at your visits!
Dr. Jane Van Dis