Does fibromyalgia include having anxiety and extreme fatigue?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
#fibromyalgia symptoms include anxiety ; fatigue.
Some young fm females have transient panic attacks (racing heart, shortness breath ; feeling of doom). In these, oft a systolic heart murmur can be heard. In two that had echocardiograms, mitral valve prolapse discovered. Those with murmurs oft have benign joint hypermobility syndrome (per brighton criteria); i suspect inherited collagen disorder.

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
5 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
A doctor at Heathtap.com, a Rheumatologist, commented that he has, "found no increased incidence of hypermobility in my scores of patients with FM".  His comment is not atypical.  In 1999, a study in England revealed that amongst Rheumatology referrals only  4.67% of persons with the joint hypermobility phenotype were being recognized, despite criteria for evaluating JHS.  A study reviewer stated, "hypermobility is under-medicalized!" (British Society of Rheumatology  members' Hypermobility Syndrome perception survey,  1999 [Grahame R, Bird H.  Rheumatology 40 (5): 559-69, 2001].  As early as 1966, it was stated, "another view is that isolated ligamentous laxity is a mild mesenchymal developmental disorder which lies at one end of a spectrum of heredofamilial connective issue disease with a fully-developed picture of Marfan's and Ehlers-Danlos at the other (Kirk JA, Ansell BM, and Bymster EG.  Ann Rheum Diseases 1967 26: 419-425. In 1993, a study tested an hypothesis that joint hypermobility is participant in the pain of fibromyalgia.  338 children between 9 and  15 were evaluated with findings that 13% had joint hypermobility and 6% had fibromyalgia per ACR criteria.  81% of the children with fibromyalgia had joint hypermobility.  40% of the children with joint hypermobility had fibromyalgia.  One conclusion was, "the study suggests that there is a strong association between joint hypermobility and fibromyalgia in school children (Buskila et al.  Joint Hypermobility in School Children.  Annals of Rheumatic Diseases.  Vol: 11, No. 1, pp39-42).  In 1998, a study in Spain compared 66 women with fibromyalgia to 70 women with other Rheumatologic  diseases.  The study found that 27% of women with fibromyalgia had joint hypermobility compared to 11.4 % of women with other Rheumatologic disorders (Acasuso-Diaz and Collantes-Estevez.  Joint Hypermobility in Paients with Fibomyalgia.  Arthritis  Care and Research,  Vol: 11, ( FitzCharles opined, in 2000, "there is increasing evidence that at least a sub-group of patients with soft tissue musculoskeletal pain, widespread pain, or fibromyalgia are hypermobile.  Clearly, hypermobility is not the only or the major factor in the development of widespread pain or fibromyalgia, but rather a contributing mechanism in some individuals" (FitzCharles M.  Is Hypermobility a Factor in Fibromyalgia?"  Journal of Rheumatology, Vol: 27. no.7, pp 1587-1589, 2000. A book devoted to the subject was published (Elsevier in 2010).  "Hypermobility, Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Pai n", edited by Professor Rodney Grahame; past editor of "Rheumatology", and held presidency of British Society for Rheumatology.   Somewhere in the midst of practicing medicine for 48 years, I discovered a truism about the practice of medicine follows:  "within the practice of medicine what is not looked for is rarely seen".
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The book "Hypermobility, Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Pain" (see above) is a must read for anyone skeptical of the joint hypermobility-fibromyalgia connection.
Dr. James Schaller
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: OFTEN-IF TOP MD'S
As i start my 34th book including things smart md's miss, it is very sad to see that the routine fatigue babesia infection missed about 98% of the time.
Why? No drug education in testing or treating. And the silly notion that the new explosion of species has a good direct test-nope. I offer 5 free books on it. Anxiety is often bartonella which is carried by more vectors than any infection, .

In brief: OFTEN-IF TOP MD'S
Dr. James Schaller
Dr. James Schaller
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Pain Management
In brief: Yea
Anxiety and fatigue arent required for a finro diagnosis but they are very common in fibro patients.

In brief: Yea
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: It can
Some patients with fibromyalgia have anxiety and or extreme fatigue.

In brief: It can
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology