Is it okay to work out my chest after having bi-lateral breast reconstruction surgery with implants?

Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics

Once you get the go ahead from your surgeon it is ok to do chest exercises after breast reconstruction.
The typical restriction period immediately post op is about 6 weeks.

Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes but be careful

When used for breast reconstruction, breast implants are placed under the "pec" muscle.
As you work your chest, your pec muscles compress and push the implants out to the side. Light chest work outs shouldn't make a difference longterm. More aggressive chest work outs can widen the implant pocket over time which can lead to the implants being displaced sideways, especially when you're laying down.

In brief: Yes but be careful

Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics

Once you cleared by your plastic surgeon that you have passed the initial recovery period, you should be able to participate in all normal activities including exercise of the chest muscles.
Depending on the type of reconstruction, you may notice some changes in the appearance of implants with exercise but this does not need to prevent you from participating in this activity.

Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Kenneth Bemudez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Post recon work out

Most implants placed for breast reconstruction re placed under the chest muscle (pectoralis).
I usually have my patients wait 6 weeks before doing a light chest work out.

In brief: Post recon work out

Dr. Kenneth Bemudez
Dr. Kenneth Bemudez
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Chest

Was the breast reconstruction due to cancer? Usually returning to working out is advisable post breast reconstruction regardless of the reason for the surgery.
Precautions would include other tissue involvement because of underlying disease on treatment and placement of implant. Would discuss with your surgeon.

In brief: Chest

Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham