I had root canal treatment, is it normal that the teeth next to the treated tooth feel tender to biting?

Yes this can. Be noted. One possible reson is that the bite load on the treated tooth was changed or even removed as a part of the root canal procedure. This places a little more load/chewing stress on the adjacent teeth. Also, inflammation from the "sick" tooth can have an influence on the neighbors. Explain this issue w your treating dentist.
Sometimes. It is normal for the treated tooth to hurt or feel tender. The discomfort may be referred to other teeth, especially in the lower arch. Also, if the teeth are in the upper arch, a sinus infection may cause the teeth to hurt.
Quite possible... There may be some inflammation following treatment. Your dentist performing the procedure may be able to provide you with a mild analgesic to alleviate this inflammation. It may provide you with the relief you are looking for.
Not unusual. After any type of dental work it is not unusual to have referred pain to adjacent areas for a short period of time. This is due to the inflammation in the area.