How do I know if my finger is broken?

Dr. Joseph Bouvier

In brief: See below

The general signs of a broken bone are pain, swelling, bleeding inside leading to bruising (ecchymosis) and loss of function.
These can also occur with soft tissue injuries too. To confirm, and x-ray can be done.

In brief: See below

Dr. Joseph Bouvier
Dr. Joseph Bouvier
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Pain, swelling, loss

Of motion, deviation, rotation, stiffness, throbbing, numbness, discoloration, tightness all can be symptoms of a finger fracture.
If one suspects a fracture, then elevation, ice , splinting and urgent evaluation is needed as many seemingly simple fractures in the hand require a detailed understanding of what to do to optimize healing and return of function.

In brief: Pain, swelling, loss

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint