What are some good exercises I can do if I have broken my ankle to keep in shape?

Dr. Chad Zooker
Sports Medicine

In brief: Be creative

Upper extremity exercises are for the most part ok to do.
You can try using a rower with one leg only, an aerodyne type bicycle with just the arms doing the work and the foot resting but not pushing on pedals. Core work like sit ups, one leg planks, one leg yoga poses can also be safely done. Check with the physician managing your ankle to be sure.

In brief: Be creative

Dr. Chad Zooker
Dr. Chad Zooker
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Non impact

It depends on the fracture.
If you are non weight bearing, do upper body exercise and leg lifts. If you can weight bear under the advice of your doctor, you can usually use a stationary bike or exercise in a pool.

In brief: Non impact

It depends on the fracture.
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine