Is it better to wear shoes or sandals if I have diabetes?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Shoes

For people with diabetes, their feet need all the protection they can get! shoes that fully cover the tops of the feet help protect against injuries from bumping into things or dropping things on them. Since people with diabetes have trouble healing from these minor injuries and are more likely to get infections, wearing shoes and preventing injury may help prevent amputations.

In brief: Shoes

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
2 comments
Dr. Kathy Robinson
I always encourage people with diabetes to wear diabetic socks as well. They wick moisture away from the feet and provide extra cushioning.
Dr. Christopher Dowd
And don't forget to make sure the shoes are properly fitting.

In brief: Shoes

I prefer to see that the foot is totally protected.

In brief: Shoes

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: It depends

Shoe are better for the outdoors.

In brief: It depends

Shoe are better for the outdoors.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Jack Hinkle