Hi, after i had my braces tightened, the gum behind my bottom right wisdom tooth got swollen. Any advice on treatment would be appreciated. Thx?

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry

In brief: Heavy brush

Clean the heck out of that area.
If it does not get better, you may need some of the excess tissue back there removed.

In brief: Heavy brush

Clean the heck out of that area.
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Food impaction

My first guess is you have food caught between the gum tissue and the tooth which might be exacerbated by the braces if they make oral hygiene a challenge.
Flossing and rinsing with warm salt water may be helpful. If it persists, get it looked at by a dentist.

In brief: Food impaction

Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Operculitis

Normally, the treatment for operculitis involves irrigation below the flap to remove trapped food or debris and antibiotic therapy.
You may need to either have your wisdom teeth pulled or have an oral surgeon remove the gingival flaps to prevent repeat performances. The orthodontic procedure was not likely related.

In brief: Operculitis

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Vicken Poochikian