If I have diabetes and have stabbing pains sometimes in my foot, does this mean I should get it checked out?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: See a physician
This may be neuropathy.
See a physician for a full examination and recommendations on management. You will also receive education on foot health for diabetics and problems to be aware of.

In brief: See a physician
This may be neuropathy.
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Brittany Chan
In brief: Yes.
These may be signs of diabetic neuropathy, a common complication of diabetes in which high blood sugars damage your nerves.
This condition often involves numbness as well, which can lead to unrecognized injury, foot ulcers, and infections. Your doctor will be able to determine the cause of these sensations, and teach you how to prevent ulcers and infection if you do have some neuropathy.(thx to bc).

In brief: Yes.
Brittany Chan
Brittany Chan
Answer assisted by Brittany Chan, Medical Student
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Have it evaluated.
Pain in that area could be due to trauma (fracture, tendon or ligamentous tear, arthritis), infection, inflammation, metabolic conditions (gout) musculoskeletal (bony over growth) or biomechanical abnormality, or neurologic conditions (neuropathy).
A thorough history and physical exam and possibly laboratory and radiology exams could determine the cause. Have it evaluated by a professional.

In brief: Have it evaluated.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine