If I fracture my toe, will I need to get a cast for my whole foot?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Usually no

The treatment of toe fractures is generally with buddy splinting the toe to its neighbor and possibly surgery if there is any concern for joint involvement that would place the patient at higher risk for development of late stage arthritis in joint that is used heavily.

In brief: Usually no

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Selene Parekh
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Break toe

Usually not. However, if you break the big toe in a location that it is part of a "turf toe" injury, you may need a cast.

In brief: Break toe

Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Generally, no

It depends on what type of "toe" fracture it is.
Most phalanx fractures (the little bones in the toes) can be treated in a walking boot or a comfortable shoe. A metatarsal fracture (the longer bones in the foot) may or may not require cast immobilization and protected weight bearing. Best to see an orthopaedic surgeon to make sure your fracture is being treated appropriately!

In brief: Generally, no

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine