I think I have metatarsalgia, can I ever be able to wear heels again?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Please add Comment

Can you tell us why you think you have that diagnosis.
Also what height heels are you considering? Sometimes we need to go with function over fashion and put away (or sell) pointed or narrow-toed high-heeled shoes in order to avoid problems.

In brief: Please add Comment

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
3 comments
Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Start with your Primary Provider
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Stylish heels make lots of work for podiatrists, osteopaths, chiropractors, and orthopedic surgeons. They force ones feet into abnormal shape and very poor mechanical alignment. They might make you look good for a while but the price can be high. Metatarsalgia is only the beginning of the sequence.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Sure

Options include: padding the forefoot portion of the shoe.
Or, one can get injections of various fillers like collagen. (this will cushion the forefoot.) the more you limit the height of the heel, the less pressure you have on the bottom of the forefoot. So a 1 1/2 inch shoe is preferred to a 6 inch pump).

In brief: Sure

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass

You need to treat the condition now and once it clears up you may be able to wear heels for short time periods.

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Vicken Poochikian