How often do I need to see the doctor about my feet if I have diabetes?

In brief: PODIATRIST

First, make sure a podiatrist is checking your feet.
It depends upon your circulation and degree of neuropathy. Your A1C. History of foot ulcers. Any bony enlargements which could cause an ulcer. Some patients I see yearly; others every 6 months, every three months, maybe every month. It depends upon how high risk your feet are. Your podiatrist will decide the best time frame.

In brief: PODIATRIST

Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: At least annually

If you are diabetic and have no neuropathy, deformities or history of wounds, it is recommended that you are examined by a doctor on an annual basis.

In brief: At least annually

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

In brief: 4 times a year

While your diabetes doctor may only see you once or twice a year, your foot doctor should be doing preventive foot care-trimming toe nails, calluses and making sure that shoes and insoles are in good shape.
Even if you have never had a foot problem it is a good idea to establish yourself with a podiatrist. If you ever need urgent care for foot problem there is someone who familiar with your feet.

In brief: 4 times a year

Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Marsha Davis