How can you get an ingrown toe nail to change it's direction of growth without having to go to the doctor?

I am not sure you. Can. I have see in textbooks some place a small "v" shaped wedge in the middle of the toenail in hopes the outer portions grow into the middle. I am not sure I believe this actually happens. A podiatrist when fixing the nail does not make the nail change direction, rather, he decreases the width of the toenail itself.
See below. It is difficult to stop an ingrown toenail. Try using a cuticle stick to push the skin away from the nail. Apply antiseptic and bandaid.
Let it grow. As long as there is no infection, try to let it grow out as long as possible and then cut it straight across.