Have severe dry eyes (daily restasis + eye drops). Want to wear contacts more often but right eye hurts after 2 hrs. What are my options?

Dr. John Gillespie
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dry eyes on drops

For severe dry eyes a rheumatologist might help further with systemic medication, punctal plugs to keep eye drops on the surface and gas permeable contacts might help as well.

In brief: Dry eyes on drops

Dr. John Gillespie
Dr. John Gillespie
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Dry eye

If you want to wear contacts, i would consider lower and possibly upper punctal plugs to increase your tear film. I would continue frequent artificial tears and Restasis as well.
I would also change to acuvue oasys, proclear, or daily soft contact lenses.

In brief: Dry eye

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
2 comments
Dr. John Gillespie
For dry eye patients the drier the eye the harder the contact lens should be. All the ways the treat dry eyes should be pursued to remedy
Dr. John Gillespie
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine