Do I need different kinds of orthotics made depending on my sport?

Dr. Bob Levine
Sports Medicine

In brief: Commonly, yes

Most labs provide sport specific orthotics.
I believe that neutral foot position is neutral foot position and therefore use a device that i believe keeps the foot in neutral reguardless of activity. So the answer is no. The right orthotic works to keep the foot functional in a variety of positions reguardless of activity.

In brief: Commonly, yes

Dr. Bob Levine
Dr. Bob Levine
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: No

Orthotics are purely for comfort for most people.
If one orthotic feels better to you for different sports, then you may have more than one pair, but no orthotic is better than another for specific sports. However, a certified orthotist may be helpful in answering this question as well.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Marsha Davis