Can a broken ankle lead to ankle arthritis in the future?

Dr. Selene Parekh
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Ankle arthritis
Absoultely. When you break your ankle, there is microscopic damage to the cartilage of the joint.
This can lead to arthritis in the future.A.

In brief: Ankle arthritis
Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Post traumatic DJD
Ankle fracture and trauma is the leading cause of arthritis in the ankle joint.
If you have had a fracture of the ankle joint that has been properly realigned and fixed, given sufficient traumatic force arthritis becomes more likely than not. As already stated by my colleagues that is why the conservative management of an ankle fracture is surgical fixation.

In brief: Post traumatic DJD
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
Arthritis is the primary reason we do surgery for ankle fractures.
If they are not aligned properly, the chances of arthritis are increased. The injury itself can also lead to arthritis due to the shearing forces.

Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Robert Mihalich