Are there good stretches to prevent plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology
In brief: No
The current stretching exercises that are recommended for PF are really for stretching the calf muscles and Achilles tendon and can be useful for those.
With few exceptions, stretching the PF is not helpful, and I do not recommend it. A stretched PF will give poor support to your foot arch, and cause further problems for you in the future.

In brief: No
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy
2 comments
Dr. Lorry Melnick
As A Podiatrist whoworks with planter fasciitis daily I would disagree. I find that proper stretching of the planter fascia can help relieve pain . When a person with planter fasciitis gets up in the morning or after sitting their fascia is tight and painful. As they walk it stretches and loosens up giving relief . I have a specific stretch that I have my patients do two times a day . It helps.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Yes Dr. Melnick, if your patient has plantar fasciitis, you are correct. However, the question asked was for preventing PF, not treatment.. There is no evidence that stretching will prevent PF.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: Achilles tendon
Stretches are good, google plantar fascial stretches so that you can see a diagram or video.
Easier to see than explain.

In brief: Achilles tendon
Easier to see than explain.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
In brief: Stretching Exercise
This stretch works well for my patients.
Using a thick phonebook fan the pages and place your foot with the heel down and toes up.Bend your knee and feel the streach in your planter fascia and achillis tendon . Hold for 10 seconds and relese. Do 1 set of 10 two times a day. You control the amount of stretch by how much you bend your knee. Good luck!

In brief: Stretching Exercise
Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Gastrocnemius
Gastrocnemius stretching is the best for plantar fascitis.
The key is frequency.

In brief: Gastrocnemius
The key is frequency.
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Robert Mihalich
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care