Do sugar based drinks really cause tooth decay over time ?

Dr. Mikel Newman
Dentistry

Sugar based drinks, whether in sodas or juice, interact with the bacteria in your mouth to form acid byproducts.
This results in the breaking down of tooth structure known as decay. Sipping sugary drinks throughout the day is much worse than drinking it all at once. Diet sodas have sugar substitutes which do not break down to the same acids as regular sodas but still have other types of acids.

Dr. Mikel Newman
Dr. Mikel Newman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Absolutely

I know this to be a fact both in the literature and on a regular basis in my office.
When seeing generalized erosions and numerous cavities, especially on previously caries free patients, after questioning them about new eating habits, "soda" often pops up as the culprit. It's a matter of exposure time, so drinking a lot of soda during the day especially a little at time is the biggest problem.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Ronald Koslowski
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Water good soda bad!

Even though sugary foods that stick to teeth cause decay more quickly, sugary drinks will cause plenty of damage.
In addition, the high acidity of sodas and juices can cause erosion of tooth structure and severe damage to teeth.

In brief: Water good soda bad!

Dr. Ronald Koslowski
Dr. Ronald Koslowski
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Yes, definitely.

Sugar ihas been recognized for a very long time to be cavity-causing.

In brief: Yes, definitely.

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Steven Seres