Does laser resurfacing really get rid of acne scars?

Partially. Honestly, deep acne scars are difficult to treat with our current methods. At best, even with a good laser resurfacing treatment, 50% improvement would be considered a "good result".
Lasers reduce scars. Lasers will definitely reduce acne scars and improve the appearance of the skin. Patients with severe scarring often require multiple treatments with the laser to achieve improvement. Further, severe acne scarring cannot be erased or totally removed. However, patients who have the expectation of improvement in their scarring are typically very happy with the results.