How long do I wait betewen taking out my tooth and implanting a new one?

Dr. Jack Binder
Dentistry

In brief: Varies

Sometimes an implant can be placed the same day as an extraction.
Sometimes it's better to wait. There may be a large area of infection around a tooth that needs to be extracted and often the implant should not be placed until the infection resolves. Also sometimes the bone at the proposed implant site must be augmented or built up. This adds several months of waiting.

In brief: Varies

Dr. John Glennon
Dentistry

In brief: 0-6 months

Sometimes implants are placed at the time of the extraction, sometimes bone replacement is placed at the time of the extraction to replace the void left by the roots of the tooth.
If bone augmentation was placed, usually you have to wait 3-6 months before the implant can be placed.

In brief: 0-6 months

Dr. Adam Smith