What can I do to prevent a recurrence of a blood clot in my calf?

As stated before. And Aspirin may help reduce the risk of recurrent dvt. Talk with your doctor.
Mobilize. Reduce risk factors walk or proper exercize weight to ideal complete the prescribed medical program for the DVT usually 6 months of coumadin (warfarin). Get veins rechecked for a new baseline. All your pcp about any clotting disorders. Probably avoid birth control meds. Probably.
Avoid inactivity. Avoid sitting for long periods of time such as on long plane rides or car rides. If you need to sit for a long period of time, it is a good idea to flex your calf muscles by moving your foot up and down to increase blood flow back to your heart from your legs. If you have been prescribed a "blood thinner" it is important to continue taking your medication as prescribed by your physician.