When you start cpr, do you start by breathing or by chest compressions?

Dr. Luke Hermann
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Chest compressions

In 2010 the aha revised their CPR guidelines to change the order in which care was initiated.
Previously the recommendation had been to follow the order abc (which stood for airway, breathing, circulation (compressions)). The new recommendation is abbreviated cab- reflecting an emphasis on compressions. In fact, if you'd rather not give mouth to mouth breathing- compression only CPR is fine.

In brief: Chest compressions

Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Compressions

The new protocol is just chest compressions they found better results with compressions - this keeps changing so keep checking on this answer after my new updated i will update this answer for this year above answer is true.

In brief: Compressions

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine