What kind of heart problems make having dental work dangerous?

Valve Issues And... People with prosthetic heart valves should be pre-treated with antibiotics to decrease the likelihood of an infection known as infective endocarditis (ie) following dental procedures. Others who should be pre-treated with antibiotics include those with a history of ie or who have had a heart transplant in which the new organ developed valve problems and some people with congenital heart defects.
HEART. In short, a heart valve defects, like mitral valve prolapse, can lead to complications following dental work, even a cleaning. We pre-medicate our patients with an antibiotic before their appointment. The medication will be in their blood stream to kill off any bacterial plaque entering the stream. Therefore, it will deposit on the heart valves or clog any blood vessels leading to a complication.