The report of my EKG says I have a sinus arrhythmia - should I be worried about this?

Dr. S. E. Johnson
Emergency Medicine
In brief: No
Sinus arrythmias are very common, especially among younger people.
They can be exacerbated by caffeine, strenuous exercise, drug use, even alcohol use. Check with your doctor to verify that your arrythmia doesn't also have any variations on the other elements of your electricl acticity of the heart. Your doctor will understand this. But you need to verify that there is nothing else going on.

In brief: No
Dr. S. E. Johnson
Dr. S. E. Johnson
Dr. Riga Pemba
In brief: No
Sinus arrhythmia is the slowing of the heart rate in relation to your breathing that can be picked up the ekg.
This is because of physiological filling and emptying of the chambers of your heart in relation to the thoracic pressures in chest cavity.

In brief: No
Dr. Riga Pemba
Dr. Riga Pemba
Dr. Mark DeBard
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Absolutely not.
Many people have sinus arrhythmia.
It merely means a variation in the beating pattern of the heart associated with breathing, and has no effect on you or your heart's health. It is mentioned in EKG reports for completeness, not because it has any clinical significance.

In brief: Absolutely not.
Many people have sinus arrhythmia.
Dr. Mark DeBard
Dr. Mark DeBard
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine