Can binge drinking cause brain damage?

Yes. Either directly by its toxic effect, or indirectly by encouraging behavior leading to head injury.
Yes. The loss of brain cells with alcohol depends on how high the alcohol level goes up, and how fast it goes up. Binge drinking causes the alcohol level to rise very quickly to very high levels, which is why people binge drink. The more you do this, the more brain cells you lose. When the binges get close together, you also can get thiamine deficiency with wernicke's (wet brain) similar to alzheimers.