Why do I feel like I can never catch my breath in the third trimester?

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology

In brief: Because your

Uterus is getting bigger, pushing the other organs up, which limits how far down your diaphragm can move when you breathe.
If this is acute shortness of breath, please contact your doctor asap or visit the nearest emergency room, since you could have a blood clot.

In brief: Because your

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Pressure from baby

As your womb increases in size, your baby now restricts the diaphragm from being able to fully contract downward.
Due to this limitation, your lungs may not expand completely, leaving you feeling short of breath. Work on taking deep, slow, regular and full breaths as often as possible. This will help lessen the feeling of being short of breath and also help provide some relaxation.

In brief: Pressure from baby

Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
Dr. Jane Van Dis