For how long after I have mono will my blood count of monocytes be elevated?

Dr. Hamid Sajjadi
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not important

Is your diagnosis of infectious mono correct? Because high monocytes can represent a variety of other diseases also.
If you had lab proven infectious mono, the monocytes stay up for 4-8 weeks but that is not important. If you are worried re infecting others, the + igm of ebv is what determines if you can infect someone else and that may stay up up to 18 months.

In brief: Not important

Dr. Hamid Sajjadi
Dr. Hamid Sajjadi
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni

In brief: It's not

Monocytes are not elevated in mononucleosis.
The cells in the blood that indicate mono are atypical lymphocytes, and they usually disappear within a few weeks.

In brief: It's not

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Cindy Juster