Why are so many doctors hesitant to prescribe pain medications for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management
In brief: Fibromyalgia
The current feeling is avoid using opioids in fibromyalgia.
This does not mean that in severe cases opioids should not be used. Docotrs have to justify their prescription - so if the exam shows no objective findings then there would be no indication to write for an opioid - just saying "i have pain" is not enough.

In brief: Fibromyalgia
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Misunderstanding
Hesitancy to prescribe pain meds for fibromyalgia (fm) derives, in part, from ubiquitous doctor regard for a theoretical concept that fm pain is due to a faulty mechanism of pain recognition within central nervous system.
My view, based on my clinical research, is that fm pain is a true peripheral neuropathy & can be effectively treated with analgesics until musculoskeletal causes are corrected.

In brief: Misunderstanding
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
2 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
I wrote a booklet on Quora.com (free) about my clinical findings, theories of causation, and treatment of fibromyalgia; under my name on "Pain Board".
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The reason for a "spectrum of disorder" for fibromyalgia is that the cause, pelvic girdle instability due to pelvic ligament laxity, manifests differently in individuals & genders.  The body musculoskeletal tower is constantly stressed by gravity & a body tilted above an unstable pelvis incurs widely ranging chronic muscle spasm leading to varying densities of painful trigger points. The delicate female pelvis is more easily injured & women have an higher incidence of Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (inherited trait) that contributes to pelvis instability.  Female pelvices are subject to varying intensities of permanent injury related to frequency of childbirth.  In both sexes, severity of symptoms is a function of musculoskeletal deconditioning & upper body mass borne by an unstable pelvis.  On a Pain Board at Quora.com a medical researcher discusses these dynamics, which are the true cause of fibromyalgia. 
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
In brief: Ineffective
Pain medications, such as narcotics are often ineffective for the type of pain involved in fibromyalgia, and because it is a long term condition, there is a risk of addiction or tolerance, which is when a medicine that worked for a while doesn't work anymore.

In brief: Ineffective
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni