Is methadone better than oxycodone for chronic pain relief?

Perhaps. Methadone is some times hard to get just right. There is less tolerance effect. There is probably better relief of nerve type pain as well with methadone.
Possible. Methadone also has a longer half-life which means each pill can work for 6-12 hours versus oxycodone lasting 3-4 hours. Oxycontin however also lasts 8-12 hours. Agree with less tolerance and nerve pain. Methadone is also dirt cheap.
There is no answer. Concerning the pharmacologic treatment of pain, there really is not "better than" or "as good as". Both drugs are opioids and work by "binding" to opioid receptors in the brain. I do not personally use Methadone as it has a very high potential for adverse problems thus a low safety profile. Some opioid receptor binders are more affective than others in some individuals.