Is elavil (amitriptyline) better than tegretol for low back pain?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Neither is best
You need to determine the cause first and formost.
Neither of those drugs is a first line treatment. Tegretol is not something I have ever used for that purpose.

In brief: Neither is best
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
Elavil (amitriptyline) is an old generation antidepressant, and tegretol is an old generation anti-seizure medication.
Both can relieve nerve related pain. Most causes of back pain are mechanical and not neuropathic (nerve generated). Therefore, a nerve pain medicine might not be a good choice for treatment. Back pain is a symptom and not a diagnosis. First, one needs to find out why there is back pain.

In brief: No
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Dr. Eric Weisman